Saturday 2 April 2011

Money answereth all things



It’s the eve of mother’s day, I’m ecstatic because it’s my first anniversary as a blogger. Reason for feeling elated? Not because I have loads of followers, but the fulfillment that I garnered courage to start and have followed through for one year.

It’s a Saturday and I am at a friend’s. While the boys are watching football, I’m basking in the serenity of the highly captivating neighbourhood. From the kitchen where I’m trying to fix myself an afternoon snack, I hear a scream from the living room, it’s a goal, it’s a goal, and it’s a goal! I shake my head thinking; only a few weeks ago he was lonely and very irritated simply because he wasn't financially stable.

Today, he's significantly different and that's what money brings you. With some money in your pocket, you get comfort, friendship, fun, excitement, the liberty of watching a football match on a 50 inch flat screen TV in a cozy environment amidst friends as opposed to watching alone from a Laptop!

So, why then do we humans deny that we are better beings when we have money? In my reflection, I came to the following submissions:
The difference between watching the 2011 Unknown starring Liaam Neeson at the Cinema and a pirated copy on a laptop is what your money can buy. The difference between shopping at House of Fraser or Harvey Nichols and TK Maxx is what your money can buy. The difference between wearing a Thomas Pink shirt and a TM Lewin is what your money can buy. The difference between wearing an Austin Reed shirt and a Hawes and Curtis is what your money can buy. The difference between the cars in that photo and my Kia Cerato is what money can buy. The difference between my time at a four star hotel in central London and a budget hotel also in London, is what money can buy. The difference between the highpoints of my 2006 vacation in Jo’burg and Pretoria is what money can buy. The difference between dinner at Prezzo and KFC is what money can buy.

He gets touchy when he’s broke but is the best and most generous fellow when he’s got money in his pocket. She’s a bitch and unsupportive when her partner is broke but treats him like a king when he picks up the bill, it's really about what money can buy. He doesn’t shave when his broke but when he’s got money in his pocket, he gets a nice hair cut and clean shave and becomes really handsome. She’s totally transformed when she visits the highbrow salon, that’s what money can buy.

We like to deny the fact that we are somewhat happier when we have money in our pockets, can afford the fancy clothes and cars; lunch or dinner in the highbrow restaurants, expensive gifts and vacations, but I think about all these and once again the holy book, the bible, is right in saying that ‘Money answereth all things’.

I also remember the inscription on a stock image which my friend Emma once had on her blackberry profile. It read,
Yes, money can’t buy happiness but it’s more comfortable to cry in a BMW than on a bicycle.

I lol when I read it, but it is so true.

No comments:

Post a Comment